1) I run. This is a new hobby. I decided I was going to run my first half marathon in April of 2013, and obsessively trained until November – where I completed Walt Disney World Wine and Dine Half Marathon with my Dad. (That photo is me right in the middle of that race!) It sparked something in me that I didn’t know I had… and I haven’t stopped since. My last big race was the Disneyland Tinker Bell Half Marathon with some of my best friends in the world.
2) I tri. This is even newer. I decided that running is fun, but biking and swimming could be fun too… and so I randomly picked a VERY small shorter-than-sprint distance triathlon to train for – that’s coming up in May in San Antonio. (Shortly to be followed up by an actual Sprint Distance in June… then possibly Olympic in 2015…)
3) I’m crazy. If there’s a challenge? I’ll take it. I’m signed up for my first challenge race in August – the Dumbo Double Dare! It’s Disneyland’s 10K on Saturday, and Half Marathon on Sunday! I get THREE MEDALS for doing it. Also – the Dopey challenge is on my bucket list. This is a 5K, 10K, Half, and FULL. One day folks, one day.
4) It’s all about the bling. I do not run over 10 miles without a medal. This includes training runs – I have a slightly addictive habit of participating in virtual runs… because seriously… it’s all about the bling.
5) I AM SLOW. I like being slow. When I started running I was one of those “if I stop, then I didn’t RUN!” and I got pretty miserable pretty quickly. After I accomplished my first goal of running a 5K without walking… I started walking. I fell in love with the intervals. My most favorite is 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I’ve been playing around with them more recently – but I think that 4/1 is my sweet spot.
6) I had absolutely ZERO desire to run a full marathon ever in my life until I ran a half. I want to do it. However, I am not in a place where I am willing to put my body through that training right now… so, it’s on hold. Bucket list, people. I have many years to run a marathon.